About Me

My photo
I'm a busy mother but I still find time to blog. Actually,I have a lovely daughter who inspired me to blog so you'll find my pages inundated with posts about her. I'm just new to blogging but I would like to post anything that pops up in my mind and share them. Since my first language is not English, please bear with me. I am open to suggestions and constructive criticisms. Please post your comments also. Thanks and happy reading....

Saturday, August 14, 2010

With or Without You?

 There must be something with the use of punctuation marks. In written English, we understand each other by the correct usage of punctuation marks. Mechanics of writing, as they say, put meanings to the way we write our messages. Here's a good example:

An English professor wrote the words, "A woman without her man is nothing" on the blackboard and directed the students to punctuate it correctly.


The men wrote: "A woman, without her man, is nothing."


The women wrote: "A woman: without her, man is nothing."

1 comment: